04 October 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Monday, Monday

 

We have some fascinating creatures, real and invented.

 

Caterpillar of the Week

by DG

Angel Lia Dan sends greetings. She found this Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar in a Stone Age circle in the Peak District last Saturday. It's magic.

Bright yellow fluffy caterpillar among fall leaves.

  

Further Afield

by Bluebottle

 

Belted Galloway calf is black with a large white midsection. Looking at camera adorably.

Belted Galloway cows dining on grass among the chalk downs.

More Belted Galloway cows, eating.


[Editor] These are excellent cows.

 

Cows grazing or lying in grass with a view of chalk cliffs.

Quiz

by DG

What is remarkable about this picture?

(answer below)

 

This 'mystery picture' shows a sunny day with lots of oak trees all greened out.

The Lure of the Internet

by DG

 

Line drawing of a mermaid admiring herself in the mirror while fish look on. They're either wanting her autograph or maybe some fish food.

Mermaid with admiring fish, Alice B Woodward. Courtesy of Project Gutenberg.

 

in olden days a lure was another name

for a group of young women

they have migrated

to the internet

where they tell me about something called

OnlyFans

another is wearing nothing but

two footballs

this needs to stop

I think I'll go fishing I'm too old

for this

 

PS: I think these lures are related to Lolita,the Twitter Mermaid.


They're persistent, too: six minutes (!) after I posted that verse on social media, somebody on Bluesky, no less, followed me. Her name was Julie and I could find her 'link in bio' (but didn't).


PPS: There has been an epidemic of Juliebots on Bluesky. People are laughing: Julie, it seems, is protean. Sometimes, she is a beautiful girl. Other times, a wise-looking older woman. Or even a bald, middle-aged man. I responded by posting the most irritating song I know from my college days.

 

Answer to Quiz

The picture above is a painting. Oak Grove by Ivan Shishkin, 1887. Kiev National Gallery. Courtesy of Wikipedia.

 

Quotes of the Day

Sombrero Galaxy, NASA.

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.  

Stephen Hawking

 Yes: it makes us the kind of monkeys who think they can understand the Universe when they've just figured out how to use velcro.

Dmitri Gheorgheni

B c-ing u,

 Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. Picture quiz. I thought it was about missing fungi? Damn. As for Stephen Hawking. His statement is like a man who has never left his home town pontificating about life in the big city or even abroad and never having left the country (personally I'm more likely to believe Harry Vanderspeigle on the subject).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. That alien knows.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Monday, Monday

  We have some fascinating creatures, real and invented.   Caterpillar of the Week by DG Angel Lia Dan sends greetings. She found th...