24 July 2026

Breaking News (Well, It Broke Us Up) from the Hooverville Hexagon

 

Newsflash: Bollywood is Filming in Exotic Liverpool

 

FWR wrote: Filming a Bollywood movie. New York taxi on a trailer, getting some pics... security guy turns round.

 

Obviously!

 

Editor: Great pics! Has anybody burst into song yet?

 

FWR: No, but there is fake snow covering the cars today! Gotham must have its own climate.

 

I was talking to a colleague (who is actually from Kerala) on the way home yesterday about that very thing. Its a misconception that Bollywood films are all musicals. Rom/coms and action movies have overtaken them in India. He blames Netflix and Prime.

 

Editor: I blame my Afghan friend Namir, who used to take me to those three-hour song-and-dance spectacles when I was in grad school in the 70s.




 

Deprecated Expression of the Day

 

It changed everything. No, dammit, it did not. If whatever you're describing changed the rotational axis of the Earth, say This changed the rotational axis of the Earth. But stop using this maddeningly vacuous cliché. It only alerts us to the fact that we should not waste time on your blog, essay, or Youtube video. It was probably written by generative AI, anyway. Our view of generative AI essays is: AI wrote it. Let AI read it. Cut out the middleman.

 

Featured Beauty



 

These are not Monet's waterlilies. These are Superfrenchie's waterlilies. But they might be related, you know. And they are très beaux.

 

Video of the Day

 



Welcome Clouds (with suitable music)

Note: People on Youtube have really bad taste. Our great video of the punch-drunk Stag Beetle? 12 views. Twelve. All day.

Me pointing a camera at the church steeple and then playing Stairway to Heaven with 3 fingers on a keyboard? Seven hundred views in an hour and a half. I'll never figure it out: that carpenter bee was worth more than a lousy 48 views.

 

CU l8ter, , Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry about it. One of my lousy videos of Luna or some other idiocy will work as click bait (pity I couldn't film getting dive bombed and cracked on the head by gulls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a pity. I suspect we could run that one as pay-per-view.

      Delete
  2. There was a time when Bollywood was happy making musicals and action thrillers at the same time, in the same movie, as you can learn from this review of the classic Khoon Khoon (1973), which features the word 'diegetically': https://aw1x.wordpress.com/2022/08/28/reasonably-clean-harry/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'It’s very entertaining, in all sorts of ways, and most of them are intentional.' I love it. Confessing here that I have never seen 'Dirty Harry' (why should I? I watched 'The Mothman Prophecies' for the third time last night, more my speed). Which means that the line that shocked me most in that review was 'while being held hostage by Andy Robinson.'
      My reaction was, what??? Garak taking hostages? Never!
      Read this review, folks: maximum enlightenment here.

      Delete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon's Weekend Edition

  Things That Bug Us (In a Good Way)   I saw this beauty on my Buddleia this week... Who knows its name? Carl Bovis   Carl Bovis, ...