15 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: We Like Bugs, Can You Tell?

 


 

Demoiselle Delight

by SashaQ

 

SashaQ writes: Even though I wrote about demoiselles, damselflies and dragonflies for h2g2 back in 2019, I hadn't ever seen a demoiselle (although I had seen numerous different damselflies and dragonflies).  In 2026, I finally found my first one: at Titchfield Haven this Banded Demoiselle fluttered past me and landed on a leaf – X marks the spot!


Demoiselle dragonfly


 

Comment Section

Sleeping cat mountain


 

Paigetheoracle comments about the 'sleeping cat mountain': Outside Dingwall in the Highlands is a hill called The Cat's Back because it looks like an arched feline, in the stance of 'I'm a fierce lion, back off!'

 

Bluebottle noticed life impinging on art again: We went to see The Odyssey today and got to the bit where Troy starts burning - only for everyone in the cinema screen to suddenly get the Government Wildfire Alert warning alarm on their phones.

 

Butterfly of the Day

by Paigetheoracle

 

This one is anonymous, says Paige. Call him George.

 

Brown butterfly with white spots

 

More Inchworm Footage

By Hoggetts

 

For Bluebottle and anybody else who hasn't seen one, here's an inchworm walking. That's why it's 'measuring the marigolds.' Or anything else it inches its way across.



There are Butterflies and Bees

 in Paulh's Garden

by Paulh

 

Paulh's garden draws the pollinators, thanks to a variety of friendly flower species. Almost as good as those buddleia are milkweed and butterfly weed and such. Enjoy the July show.

 


 


 

 

Urs till butter flies, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. Tavaron da Quirm8/16/26, 3:36 AM

    Paige's butterfly seems to be a Speckled Wood butterfly (Pararge aegeria). In German it's called 'Waldbrettspiel' and I wonder how that game works... does it involve dice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's what it is! My less than excellent wildlife mind wanted to call it a marbled fritillery but 'wood' kept popping into my head (not my wooden head).

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: The Scientific Method

    Colonel H Teaches Mengenlehre by DG   Colonel H belonged to an old Prussian family.   I mean old . He remembered the family st...