14 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Various and Sundry, Saturday Edition

 

 

 

Film News: Slash Fiction

by Awix

 

Silhouette cartoon of Nigel Fuller falling asleep while watching a black-and-white movie. There are Centaurian onion rings in a dish on the table.

'I believe we are sharing the same sofa for this screening,' I said. This was new territory (not just the sofa either): some intuition had told me that the local multiplex’s screening of Jane Schoenbrun's Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma might be on the busy side, so I'd booked my ticket a couple of days early for once...

 

Read the rest at Slash Fiction, Awix's latest review.

 

DG, on reading this review: Awix's account of the screening was much more entertaining than the movie sounded IMHO, even though it does have Gillian Anderson in it. But then, I have never watched any Halloween or Friday the 13th movies because there are things I'm no-doubt too obtuse to understand. But if your mental angles subtend in that direction, go for it.*

 

*You see, I CAN make puns. I'll bet you're sorry now.

 

Comment Section

An inchworm on Paigetheoracle's knee


Bluebottle, on reading about inchworms: I never knew Inchworms actually really existed. I had only heard them from the song in the 1952 'Hans Christian Andersen' film, so assumed they were fictional like diminutive mermaids, cygnets identifying as ducklings, invisible imperial clothing or Thumbelina.

 

 

Quasi-Political OpEd

 

Behold on the tv: a shrewdness of apes.

A what?

A group of primates are called a shrewdness. It says so right here, in The Sports and Pastimes of the People of England by Joseph Strutt, 1845 edition.

What do you call a group of politicians, though?

A noodledom of fools.

You're still upset that Count Binface didn't win, aren't you?

Yes.

Butterflies of the Day

by Paigetheoracle and Tavaron

 

In the UK, everybody's got these flowers called buddleia. And butterflies really, really like them. The Editor can tell because so many emails start like Paige's:

'I was walking past these buddleia bushes and I saw this Red Admiral, so I put down the shopping and…'

Enjoy.

 

Red Admiral butterfly on buddleia

 

Tavaron found a Silver-Washed Fritillary in her garden. In Austria they call them Kaisermantel, the emperor's cloak. They're certainly royal enough. Reminds me of a certain carpenter who once said something about Solomon in all his glory…

 


 

 

Urs till butter flies, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. I thought the image in Awix's review was something to do with underwater photography of the Loch Ness monster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is. I didn't have a picture of the movie under review. That's my cartoon of Nigel falling asleep watching a movie.

      Delete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: The Scientific Method

    Colonel H Teaches Mengenlehre by DG   Colonel H belonged to an old Prussian family.   I mean old . He remembered the family st...