25 July 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon's Weekend Edition

 

Things That Bug Us (In a Good Way)

 

I saw this beauty on my Buddleia this week... Who knows its name?

Carl Bovis

 

Carl Bovis, bird photographer extraordinaire, lives in Somerset. Along with the quote above he posted an excellent photo of a Jersey Tiger Moth. I knew I recognised it – Robbie Stamp had one land on his clothing in the London Underground a few years back, I remember. But I couldn't remember the name for it. So I scrolled down.

 

I sort of wished I hadn't.

 

Oh, I got the name, all right. I also saw the reply that went, 'His name is George. George Walter Theodore Propter-Ffellows III to be precise.'

 

Ha, ha, and also, ha. This is exactly why I have forbidden the phrases 'Can you name this?'' and 'What is it called?' from appearing on picture quizzes in the h2g2 Post. Because otherwise The English Joke will rear its repetitious head.

 

As Superfrenchie has remarked, they can't help themselves, the English. If you ask for a bird or insect ID they will be drawn ineluctably to The Joke. You would have to shackle their hands and put duct tape [gaffer tape] over their mouths to prevent it. And then they might explode.

 

As Concerned Foreigners, the half of the Hexagon staff who are not English have decided to give the rest of Youse a break.

 

Today's your chance.

 

Name this bug. We dare you.

 

Featured Insect of the Weekend




 

Paigetheoracle found this on a footbridge in Alness, Scotland.

 

 

Deprecated Expression of the Day

 

Deep dive: Stop it. Just stop it. You aren't diving. Most of you are skimming the surface in a leaky kayak, but you can't help it. You're babbling and you can't stop. A patchwork of factoids you copied from all the other websites does not constitute a Gesamtkunstwerk. My advice: more discriminating reading, less talking. Engage brain before opening mouth.

 

(I have heard or read this phrase a dozen times today. This level of cliché is unprecedented in the annals of modern writing. It can only be matched by a bad skop reciting a late-medieval Viking saga and putting in way too many 'whale-roads'.)

 

Featured Cartoon

 

Woman: Maybe because he isn't dishonest, the curse won't affect him? In the shop. Delivery Man: 'Ello. I've got this 'ere shop sign to put up for you. Shop Owner: Excellent! Please hang it up above the shop window. Next panel, Shop Owner: Oi! What have you dont? It's supposed to say 'Treasure Chest' not 'Chest Trousers'! What even are 'Chest Trousers? Man Walking into Shop Wearing Trousers Belted Under His Armpits: Oh, good, somewhere that stock chest trousers. I always prefer my trousers to rise high above my waist.

Bluebottle's Increasingly Fruitless Soap Operetta:

An Unfortunate Curse

 

 

Video of the Day

 



Moorhen with Chick

By SashaQ,

(Our resident

waterbird expert)

 

CU l8ter, , Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

1 comment:

  1. Chest trousers as a concept is old, tubby men, who no longer have a waistline. You see it in old movies on either side of the Atlantic but mostly America. Usually it's highlighted by braces, dragging the trousers up higher than the waist. These appeared in black and white films, involving courtroom scenes etc (Spencer Tracey wore them in a film where he played Clarence Darrow I believe called Inherit The Wind (that's the film title, not the trousers)). Yes, I had to put that in being English

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon's Weekend Edition

  Things That Bug Us (In a Good Way)   I saw this beauty on my Buddleia this week... Who knows its name? Carl Bovis   Carl Bovis, ...