09 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Sermons in Stones and Berries and Worms and…

 

 

What We Can Learn from Fruit

By DG

 

fruit is so inspiring says the poetic individual a gift of love from the tree to us well actually (I hate to be that person no I don't I don't at all) fruit is a sweet trick by the plant to get animals to help with seed distribution just as nectar tricks the bee into getting its butt all fuzzy so the bear eats the fruit (you see) and then it goes somewhere else and then as the philosophy student said of Rousseau it answers the call of nature (yes yes probably in the woods but maybe not) behold the elegance of the biosphere nobody has to negotiate anything or emote smarmily over the kumbayayas it's just natural like... socialism or something  Image: Berries ripening by FWR (h2g2)

 

Quiz Answers

What Does It All Mean?

Newspeak 101

SashaQ helped me find these tortured phrases.

Can you guess what the original phrase was before 'machine intelligence' got to it?

Answers below.

 

1.    torment executioners=painkillers

2.    haze figuring=cloud computer

3.    flag to commotion=signal to noise

4.    irregular esteem=random value

5.    attractive field=magnetic field

6.    backlash combination=reaction mix

7.    response book=solution volume

8.    counterfeit consciousness=artificial intelligence

 

Beauty Moment

The Grass Paigetheoracle Planted

in the Neighbour's Yard

(with permission)

 

Grass growing in the narrow space along a fence

A good deed is its own reward.

'Cast your grass seed upon the verge,

and you will need a mower.'

 

Quote of the Day:

Are inchworms called 2.5-centimeter worms in Europe?

Reddit

 

(Answer: No. The caterpillars of geometer moths are called loopers or spanworms. Geometer=earth measurers.)

 

Video: The Inchworm and the Ant

A Comedy

 


By Hoggetts

 

 

Anybody can be startled, we guess: even an inchworm. It looks like the ant was kind of surprised, too.

(This video was very popular on Youtube.)

 

 

kthxbai, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

3 comments:

  1. I never knew Inchworms actually really existed. I had only heard them from the song in the 1952 'Hans Christian Andersen' film, so assumed they were fictional like diminutive mermaids, cygnets identifying as ducklings, invisible imperial clothing or Thumbelina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One memorable summer when I was a teenager, our church youth group had a retreat - right in the middle of an infestation of the 17-year locusts. Constantly being whirred at by the beasties (which look like something out of a 1950s horror movie) drove me to escape into the nearby woods. Where I found a 'green cathedral'. No lie - natural amphitheatre in a partial clearing had been fitted with embedded log benches and a large, flat rock for a speaking platform.
    I sat down, savouring the quiet, and sang 'I Know a Green Cathedral' at it. (Yes, I talked to the trees.) And then I spotted it: the little green inchworm, inching along.
    So I sang the Inchworm Song to it. It didn't seem to mind.
    I was glad we'd learned that in school choir. Before we did, I had a mondegreen in my memory of the song: I thought it went, 'Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the miracles...'
    Anyway, I have always been grateful to the inchworm for the most spiritual moment of a 'retreat' that otherwise consisted of enforced jollity and unnecessary adult talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine fruit lesson. The video is funny, how the inchworm and the ant are surprised by each other! Startle reflex in action :D

    Those tortured phrases from the 'counterfeit consciousness' are spectacular...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: The Scientific Method

    Colonel H Teaches Mengenlehre by DG   Colonel H belonged to an old Prussian family.   I mean old . He remembered the family st...