22 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Historical Musings and a Show-Off Goat

 

 

Historical Fashion Victim of the Week

by DG

 

Meet Roswell S Ripley

Roswell S Ripley, bald and with an incredible moustache that is fat in the middle and greased down to a sharp point at each end.

 

Whatever the Opposite of 'Historical Hottie' is, that's this fellow. I stumbled across Roswell S (for Sabine!) Ripley while searching the Library of Congress picture files for something about UFOs. Anyway, his portrait was labelled 'CSA' and between that and the horrible facial hair, I guessed he was yet another of the far-too-numerous tribe of Confederate generals. And he was. He wasn't any good at it, which was somewhat surprising, or maybe not. He did graduate 7th in his class at West Point.

 

Ulysses S Grant was 21st in that same class. Information for non-US people: US Grant was the winning general, also a two-term US president. Come to think of it, that information's good for US people, too, some of whom fell asleep in history class instead of listening to Mr Sauer talk about the Alamo.

 

I'll bet people used to say around Ripley, 'Don't mention the war.' If John Cleese had been around, he could have said, 'It was his fault: he fired on Fort Sumter.' And he would have been right.

 

In the 1850s, Ripley went fortune-hunting. Some gossipy people talked about him in letters. He eventually got the girl, though. She was a rich young widow from Charleston. Which explains, finally, how an Ohio man ended up as a Confederate general.

 

Gen. Martin told me yesterday that R. had been for some time vigorously addressing the widow Sparks. He brought the affair to an unfortunate finish a few days ago, and got her rejection. In his rage at this result, he bolted down stairs & not permitted to give the lady kick for kick, he either employed his boots, or threatened to do so, on the breech of the bar keeper, who has had him arrested by a magistrate's warrant & brought to town...

Letter from William Gilmore Simms to James Henry Hammond, Charleston, South Carolina, 18 August 1852.

 

From Letters of William Gilmore Simms, vol 3, p196. Just who were these gossipy people, and why did somebody bother to edit their tea-spilling correspondences?

 

You think your best-selling novelists are buying fame that will last forever, don't you? It is to laugh. You've never heard of William Gilmore Simms. I'd never heard of him, and I'm from the US South. But Edgar Allan Poe said he was the best novelist in America back in 1845. So there.

 

As a poet, Simms wrote like this:

 

He is a god who wills it — with a power

To work his purpose out in earth and air, Though neither speak him fair !—

 

He goes on like that for quite a while: I decided to leave him to it. The poem is called 'Imagination'.

 

James Henry Hammond was a US senator. He got elected to that august governing body in spite of the rape and incest scandals. They didn't know about the gay affair, though. This was back in the Bad Old Days when fights broke out on the Senate floor that put senators in the hospital. Hammond was a big-time plantation owner with 300 slaves, so he quit the US government in 1860. He died in 1864.

 

I was curious when I found out JH Hammond died at the age of 56. It turns out he 'did his own research' when it came to medicating his stomach problems. He died of mercury poisoning.

 

My comment after all this overdose of history:  isn't anything new under the sun?

 

Quote of the Week

Words of Wisdom

 

Some of you all need to get your crown chakra out of your root chakra.

Anastasia MacKenzie, Bluesky

 

 

Modern Poetry Section

(Eat your heart out, William Gilmore Simms)

by DG

The 'prompt-word' was 'towel'. Srsly.

I'm an editor for the Hitchhiker's Guide I go on intergalactic cruises in my head  I have also personally published more pictures of towels than I own towels it's an occupational hazard  Image: Two towels. One with a book of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Earth Edition stories. One that says 42. From the copious h2g2 collection, 25 years in the making.

 

 

 

Video of the Day:

Fetching Goat

(DG)

 


The little goat decided to show off. We paused to admire. It's good to notice other species.

 

Beautiful Cat

 

A beautiful longhair calico cat in prim standing pose looking steadily at the camera.

For I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was dressed like one of these.

Matthew 6:29 (And yes, he was talking about flowers. The only cats in the Bible are lions. The cats won't let me forget this.)

 

Peace.  Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. Tavaron da Quirm8/24/26, 1:23 AM

    The cat I had as a teenager looked very similar to this. She died at 15... she was a very good cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 My neighbours have a cat similar to this, too - lovely muted tortoiseshell colouring.

      Delete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Local Histories

  Call it a town, a city, a hamlet, a borough, an island…home is where the heart is.   The Heroes of Yesteryear by DG Prompted by an u...