From Inverness to Dorset, actually.
A
Walking Tour of Inverness
by Paigetheoracle
(Interpretive notes by DG)
Three Churches
Paige: Firstly, from last week. The three
riverside churches. The Old High is on the left, the middle one is that which
is having the steeple renovated and which I sent you photos of way before then.
The one on the right is the brickwork church, I sent you a sign for and a photo
last time (keep up, there will be a test next week).
DG: He's always doing this: expecting me to
remember exactly what confusing photo I got and when. Sir, you are mistaking me
with a computer. Never mind: the churches are here. We move in for a closer
look.
Paige: Old High [Church], private graveyard area.
I will be sending written material from the entrance after this. It looks like
the Acropolis* but isn't. I've tried to make the inscription above the entrance
as clear as possible but it's all Greek to me (more likely Latin but I would
have needed a step ladder to get a better shot but as I didn't have one with
me...)
*The Editor has seen the Acropolis. It, er, doesn't look like this.
Next Email: Plaque Outside Church (including cat).
DG: I made a slideshow. Enjoy. That inscription
is definitely Latin, but it needs a good cleaning before we can read it.
The Tolbooth Tower
Editor's Notes: This is the Inverness Town Steeple. It is located at the corners of
High Street and the aptly-named Church Street. It's 43 metres (141 feet) in
height, built in 1791 in the Neoclassical style to replace the old Tolbooth.
I always wondered why stories from Scotland always
mentioned toll booths. Where I come from, this is a toll booth.
Malcolm: So your dad lives in Pittsburgh with a lady
who works in a toll booth.
Cole: What if she has to pee when she's working?
The website GPS My City describes the Inverness
tollbooth as 'a landmark rich in history and architectural charm.' I'm sure
the prisoners on trial in the courtroom (it was a courthouse) appreciated all
that charm. These days there's some kind of souvenir shop downstairs.
That GPS-My-City page was probably written by a
chatbot. It finds it necessary to put an explanatory twist on everything. It's
not enough to tell us that the clock was electrified in 1979: it has to add
'modernizing its historic mechanism.' If a human wrote that they should stop
writing.
Personally, I believe all historic tollbooths should be
retrofitted with Faraday cages and used to house unruly chatbots.
Research
Note:
This is what I got from the Google searchbot when
looking for that quote.
Prompt: sixth sense toll booth quotes
It appears you may have combined the movie title The
Sixth Sense with the classic children's book and film The Phantom
Tollbooth. The Sixth Sense features famous quotes like "I see
dead people", while a toll booth is central to the plot of The Phantom
Tollbooth.
It took numerous tries, but I outwitted it, got past
the obsessive fansites arguing about whether Cole's mother just made that up,
etc, and found the movie script. Seriously. I feel like it's 1998 again. If
this keeps up, if I want information I'll have to talk to Brother Cadfael in
the scriptorium.
Picture
Puzzle: Answer
By DG
These crop plants in Mrs Hoggett's garden are a
disappointment to her. Those little nubbins are supposed to be okra pods by
now. Okra is super-tasty in soup but hard to grow this far north. Back to
fighting the other Southern exiles for it in the frozen-food section.
Comment
Section
SashaQ compliments photographers: No wonder
Buddleia is nicknamed 'the butterfly bush' - great photo and video. Yay for
bugs - great edition. 'Waldbrettspiel' is a fascinating name for a butterfly,
but it is apt - the cream markings do look like a path on a board game, and
some look to have black counters on them!
Lovely photo slideshow, and excellent to see the inchworm inching along!
Sasha has found us another Waldbrettspiel
(Speckled Wood Butterfly).
Galaxy Babe says: Love the dolphin! They have
been spotted off Cleethorpes but we've not been lucky enough to catch sight
ourselves yet.
Paigetheoracle has maidenhair associations: When
I was a teenager, I had a maidenhair fern but it died. Over the years my green
fingers have improved , except for a grazed thumb (the editor may explain) as
my accident prone life attests. Like Awix's title for his review - probably
better than the film. Rex Gilroy, the cryptozoologist, who lived in Australia
has collected reports from various witnesses, possibly indicating that
dinosaurs may still be around or time slipping into our world, so you've been
warned about holiday destinations abroad...but Nessie may still be hanging
around Scotland (no I'm not selling a tour of the loch tickets! That's a
totally unsubstantiated rumour, put about by the guy suing me!)
The
Mists of August Are
in
the Gloaming
(and
Other New York Cliches)
Photo by Paigetheoracle
Heather. On a hill. Because there isn't any place else
for the heather to grow. I mean, it's not called the Highlands for nothing.
Video
of the Day:
Moors
Valley Railway:
Dorset
(Bluebottle)
Moors Valley Railway celebrated its 40th anniversary
with a gala parade. A 7¼"-gauge steam miniature railway in
Dorset, it boasts a track over a mile long with two stations, four tunnels and
a spiral.
Repeating this one because the Shorts version means
more people will get to see these fantastic little engines that can.
Keep chugging along, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor





I've seen the Acropolis too but it's your imagination that is different from mine. The heather was actually on the coast. Loved the butterfly though
ReplyDelete