The
Fight for Consensual Reality Goes On
Twitter
is the online proof that when humans proposed 'a new republic of letters', the
gods laughed. Today all the instant experts (just add clickbait) are arguing
about whether the works of Shakespeare, Austen, and Dickens were meant to be
enjoyed by hoi polloi ['οι πολλοι].
The
responses, of course, are largely unencumbered by the thought process and
completely uninformed by anything like a background in the subject under
discussion. It's amazing how much these people know: only a few days ago, they
were explaining the Odyssey to us. (But I'll bet they still don't know
that the hoi in hoi polloi means 'the'.)
What I
can't stand is what appears to me to be an open conspiracy to reduce shared
reality to the level of a shifting consensus shaped by the whim of for-profit
enterprises. Just now, and apropos of the 'literary' debate, I wanted to chase
down the source of the claim that, when Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop
was serialised, anxious readers literally stormed New York harbour when the
ships came in, shouting 'Is Little Nell dead?' It's a great story – one version
gives the number of would-be readers at 6000 – but where did it come from?
If you
know, please tell me. But I'm not accepting sources without proper footnotes,
or later than 1999. Because I suspect this is getting passed around without any
fact-checking. So I went to the Library of Congress newspaper files. I'm still
checking contemporary accounts from New York. I haven't found the 'swarmed the
dock' story yet, but I can confirm that Dickens was a superstar. Read this from
the New York Herald in 1842. President John Tyler hosted Dickens and
Washington 'Sleepy Hollow' Irving, and there was a huge crowd.
Fact is
always more interesting than rumour. Don't trust me on this – do your own
research. But do it right.
PS I've
come to the conclusion – after reading more than I ever wanted to about the
death of Little Nell – that the crowd-at-the-docks story is probably
apocryphal. It's usually referred to as 'a rumour' or 'a legend', or simply, 'I
got it off Wikipedia.' But Dickens sold
100,000 copies of that magazine a week.
On an
unrelated note: please share this link with everyone you know and click on us
daily. As of yesterday, this blog has had 500 mouseclicks and climbing.
Beauty
Spot of the Day:
Elizabeth
Castle, Jersey
From our correspondent Bluebottle
By far
the most prominent structure in St Helier is Elizabeth Castle, located on a
tidal islet in the middle of St Aubin Bay. This is quite a recent castle, with
the earliest fortification dating back only to 1551, renamed by Sir Walter
Raleigh in 1600 to Elizabeth Castle in honour of the queen. The initial gun
battery expanded over time to become a vast 15-acre complex.
The
castle remains accessible by causeway at low tide and is cut off for 8 hours a
day, with the causeway up to 12 metres (40 foot) underwater, as Jersey has the
third largest tidal range in the world.
During
the Civil War Jersey declared for the King, with Charles II visiting Jersey in
1650 and 1651. After a seven week siege, Elizabeth Castle became the last place
in the UK to surrender to Parliament. In 1781 the French attacked Jersey in
order to distract Britain from the Siege of Gibraltar, only for this invasion
to end in disaster.
During
Jersey's occupation during the Second World War the Germans built bunkers and
gun emplacements on the castle site, with a concrete observation tower built in
the upper keep with anti-aircraft gun on top. In fact it is the last castle to
see active combat, undergoing bombing raids on 10 August 1944.
Of older
historical significance is St Helier's Hermitage. Originally on a separate
islet but later joined by recent 19th-century harbour works is the rock on
which St Helier lived, now the site of a 12th-century chapel. St Helier was
decapitated on the rock in 555AD and according to legend, picked up his severed
head and walked 200 yards before dying. [Ed. This was a boss move.]
Elizabeth
Castle is now a major tourist attraction; visitors can travel by an amphibious
bus if the causeway is underwater or they would prefer to avoid the 0.7
mile/1.1km walk.
And now…the video:
To
FWR, Who Wanted the Batmobile
Galaxy Babe saw it and got the picture for us.
Good thing Cleethorpes has a Comic Con.
Video
of the Day:
Nice
Goat: Bea
Later, all you sasquatches.
Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave us a message!