29 July 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Trains, Seagulls, and Really Terrible Puns

 


They're Coming Round the Mountain (or the Bend, Anyway)

 

Moors Valley Railway celebrated its 40th anniversary with a gala parade. A 7¼"  gauge steam miniature railway in Dorset, it boasts a track over a mile long with two stations, four tunnels and a spiral. Bluebottle was there, naturally. Let him show you how much fun it was.

 



 

Listen for the whistles.

 

Beauty Spot of the Day:

Niagara Falls

 

Niagara Falls, with spray

Slowly we turn…

…and take in the cool spray and magnificent view.

Courtesy of Galaxy Babe's son Allan, another world traveller. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it seems. Allan was in the US for World Cup fun.

 

Bluebottle's Fruitless Soap Operetta

 

First woman: Apparently my sister is meeting her sister now in the Pint and Pontiff. FW, at pub: Hello Sis, can I get the next round in? Woman at table: Blue wine, please. WT: Hullo, Pat, you're late. Woman Postal Worker: Very literally, I'm afraid. I was doing my postal rounds when I met a cute man who said, 'I'll show you a large package and post it through your letter box,' and he delivered, if you know what I mean. I gave my stamp of approval and he licked my envelope and gave me a franking and I'm now pregnant. WT: So when's the happy event? WPW: Estimated time of delivery, between midday and noon, middle of next book.

Bluebottle strikes again, with more truly horrible puns.

This episode is NSFW, big-time. Unless you're English.

Everyone else, view at your own risk.

 

Pareidolia Theatre

 

Rows and rows of fluffy clouds. A dog or a starship? Let the pareidolia sufferers decide.

I took this on a sunny day, somewhere in the county that's high enough up for something like a horizon. Possibly someplace romantic, like the Walmart parking lot. Rather prosaic after Niagara Falls.

But look at the sky. Do those clouds make you think of anything? I know some of you have very vivid imaginations. So share.

 

Vocabulary Faux Pas of the Day

A Contradiction in Terms

 

In today's news: the ridiculous word Truther. As in, 'Truthers want proof Armstrong landed on the moon.' Or

'Truthers want proof snake oil salesmen sell snake oil.' Or 'Truthers want to put people with common sense in jail.'

The inmates are running the asylum in a lot of places. Just keep them out of the dictionary business, please.

 

Video of the Day

There's a poem with this one:

 

the English are never more

than 100 km from a sea coast

this is why

my friends spend so much time

complaining about

seagulls

 

buckle up:

if the English person

in question

happens to be

a birder

you're in for a long

bumpy

ride

 

Video: Seagulls, Their Infinite Variety



 

(Thanks to SashaQ, FWR, Paigetheoracle, and Galaxy Babe for all the seagulls. We who are landlocked appreciate you.)

 

ttyl gullznbuoyz

 

A seagull on a buoy.

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

1 comment:

  1. "ttyl gullznbuoyz" :D Great videos of the trains and gulls! Excellent photo of Niagara Falls, too - brings back memories of my trip there some years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Appreciating Nature

  Plant life, animal life, our lives. Floral Beauty of the Week by Tavaron da Quirm Amaranthus was Tavaron's guess. This is in Aus...