31 July 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Discovering Weirdness, One Pixel at a Time

 

3 bunnies and a bunny statue

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit (rabbit statue).

Καλο μηνα!

 

Another Defiant Movie Recommendation

 

 


Space Oddity

Director: Kyra Sedgwick

Writer: Rebecca Banner

Starring: Kevin Bacon (naturally), Carrie Preston, Kyle Allen, Alexandra Shipp, Simon Helberg.

Keywords: Flowers, small towns, eccentricity, grief

 

I have more and more come to realise that I don't trust movie critics (sorry, Awix). Apparently they didn't much like this movie. It's not something enough, and it's too much something else, and after all it's just Kyra Sedgwick and her husband and their friends making a warm little film about a family with a flower-farming business and a son who's determined to go live on Mars.

 

Not much to see, perhaps, unless you're like the Youtube commenters who were grateful for the film because it helped them process their own personal griefs. I put it on because I like Kevin Bacon, Carrie Preston, and Simon Helberg (remember Florence Foster Jenkins? He played Cosme McMoon, a plum role). The young folk were good, too, and the kids with their mini-marshmallow guns were a scream. Watch it when you're in the mood.

 

Oddly, earlier that day, I'd read a piece by someone who appreciated Dickens for his willingness to explore the pain of grief and loss. I suspect that a revival of emotional art, literature, and cinema may be just around the corner. Humans are hurting. Sophistication is not the only game in town. And if somebody doesn't do something about all the oppression, violence, and sheer theft going on around the world, I predict that this will be followed by the Song of Angry Men.

 

No wonder that guy wanted to live on Mars.

 



Helicopter on Mars

By NASA

 

 

Picture Quiz

(Answer tomorrow)

What is this?

A fish with antlers


 

 

 

Paigetheoracle's Pareidolia:

The Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of


He says it's the 'elderberry monster'.

 

A weird tree formation over a stone wall in Scotland.

 

Video of the Day:

Fjords, with Surprise Ending

 



 

Galaxy Babe and Andy were up in Stavanger, Norway, earlier this summer. They weren't filming The Odyssey, just fjords. But it was about as hazardous.  Good thing the cinematographer had help.

 

Coming tomorrow: A visit to the open-air museum brings a new puzzle and a conversation with some sheep.


Sheep and dog


Laterz,

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

1 comment:

  1. You've got more rabbit than Sainsbury's.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    What We Plant By the Editor Photo by FWR.   I didn't have 'virtually attending a funeral in Dublin' on my bingo card...