24 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Travel, Technology, More Goats

 

 


On the Road Again

by Caiman Raptor Elk

 

Confusing Sign

 

Sign that points to the GOP Theatre in Essen, Germany.

Yesterday I came across this sign while cycling through the city of Essen, Germany. They forgot to mention the distance when travelling in that direction. I checked, and it is 6361 km. (Unless they really meant the theatre around the corner).

Caiman

 

Editor: I looked up GOP Essen: it's one of a chain of dinner theatres that started in the Georgspalast in Hannover, which is a historic landmark with a rich history that includes performing music the Nazis didn't like. For some reason 'GOP' is short for 'Georgspalast'. Ask somebody from Hannover.

 

In case anybody from outside the US is interested, 'GOP' as a political designation stands for 'Grand Old Party' and was adopted along with the elephant as branding for the Republican Party. Newspapers picked the abbreviation up because in the Dark Ages of print journalism, ink cost money and headline space was at a premium.


I also noticed an advert for Mövenpick (ice cream, probably). I always assumed the ice cream was called that because that nemesis of everyone in the UK, the seagull (Möwe in German), was forever stealing it. Apparently, the Swiss who named the hotel and restaurant chain was impressed by the birds' ability to catch food in flight. Their ice cream was so popular (think Howard Johnson's, old people in the US) that it became a European favourite.

 

Deprecated Word of the Day

Bicycle in tree, Scotland.

'Journey'

 

You all know someone who has posted online about their personal 'journey'. Their 'writing journey'. Their 'scrapbooking journey'. Even, heaven help us, their 'journaling journey'. Just now I saw John Oliver mimicking a lady whose elaborate nails he admired. He imagined somebody asking her to open a can of soda. Wagging an imaginary manicure, he crooned, 'That isn't my journey.'

 

Caiman doesn't email me about his 'journeying journey'. Thanks, friend.

 

Science History Corner

by DG

 

Once upon a time a Hungarian engineer set up a demonstration of his perpetual motion machine in the parking lot of a refrigerator company in Los Angeles of all places. This was in 1966, which was really too late in the day for this sort of foolishness. Besides, Richard Feynman lived there. Dr Feynman was hell on perpetual motion machines because he was a staunch defender of the laws of  thermodynamics. So Feynman and his students were standing in that parking lot & the inventor pulled the plug to  show the engine ran by itself and getting cocky, he gave the cord to  Feynman to hold and Feynman wouldn't give it back and suddenly...  the engine blew up. The inventor sued Caltech, for not keeping Feynman on a tighter leash, I guess. They paid him off.  The moral of this story probably involves one of those formulas that abuses parentheses and the Greek alphabet. Go ask a physicist.  Image: 1920 cover of Popular Science showing a perplexed man in a workshop scratching his head over a so-called perpetual motion Ferris Wheel.

 

Video of the Day:

Goats and Crows

An important conversation

(DG)

 


I don't know what they said. I don't have a translation app.

 

Picture Puzzle: Answer

by Tavaron

 

A tree trunk, partially stripped, with notches.

These trees are not dead. But what are the markings for? It's the scars from collecting resin from a black fir tree. The bark was removed and the V-shaped grooves are from something like a funnel made from two pieces of wood. A glass or clay 'cup' would hang below to collect the resin, which has many uses.

 

 

cul8ter, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

1 comment:

  1. Educational - every time I read GOP in relation to US politics I thought it was something like Government of People :D - Grand Old Party, I see. Also interesting to learn the word Möwe

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Seasonal Migrations and Other Wildlife Activities

  Creatures on the move...places to go, bodies to bury...   A Herd of…Wooden Elephants? by Paulh About a month ago I went into Cople...