05 August 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Are Jersey Tigers a Sign of Being Pixie-Led?

 


What the Wee Folk Saw

(and how they told us about it)

By the Editor and

Paigetheoracle

A sign saying Old High Church open.

 

To be clear: although my family has inhabited the Southern Appalachians for nearly 400 years, and I currently dwell in the Northern Appalachians, this story concerns the Hyperborean Appalachians. You know, the ones that got separated from us by what eventually became an ocean, back after the unfortunate incident in Pangea. Family estrangement can be so messy.

 

I don't think the fae have ever quite gotten over it. I mean, you lure one human off the path, entertain them for a few hours at a fairy picnic, let them go, and what happens? They turn up weeks later on another continent? It's kind of annoying.

 

Which is why, I believe, the wee folk up in Inverness have taken to doubling as historical tour guides. Too many people have their noses stuck in their mobile phones these days, anyway. And they probably saw Paige coming. He certainly didn't see them: he was probably too busy looking out for seagull nests. (The parents peck at him.)

 

Paige is from around Norwich. You know, where saints wall themselves up in churches to avoid the locals.

St Julian of Norwich as a statuette on a column in Norwich Cathedral. Paigetheoracle

He lives in northern Scotland now. The photos he sends me are kind of random. I'd been asking him for photos relating to the Battle of Culloden, which Americans know about because of movies and caber-tossing Virginians. In reply, he sent me this while he was in Inverness.


Sorry no information on the church as I stumbled upon these on my way to the bus station on my way home. The young variegated holly caught my attention through the fence...

 

Variegated holly. I tutted and did some research. As it turns out, Paige had pointed his camera at a crime scene.

 

According to Atlas Obscura, 'Following the Scottish defeat at Culloden, this graveyard became a "killing field".' They massacred the Scottish prisoners there. Who did? James Wolfe, who later became famous for...checks notes…oh, defeating the French in Quebec. And getting mentioned in that old Canadian national anthem along with the maple leaf.

 

Other things that happened in that church: John Wesley preached there. Going back a few more centuries, St Columba preached there and founded the first church on the spot. Right now the worshippers go over to St Stephen's because this building isn't usable. The old church has been bought by a preservation group.

 

Nice holly, though. Thanks, pixies, for distracting our photographer.

 

Flower Centrefold

'Ditch Lily' (Hemerocallis fulva)

A profusion of blooms on an orange lily. Mrs Hoggett.

What a rude name. Okay, people: Orange you glad you

saw this lily?

(This 'pun' doesn't work in western Pennsylvania, anyway.)

 

The Return of the Jersey Tiger:

Photos and Video

By SashaQ, Tavaron da Quirm,

& the Kids

 

The Jersey Tiger, Euplagia quadripunctaria, is a drop-dead gorgeous European daymoth.

 

SashaQ found one the other day:

Jersey Tiger moth

So did Tavaron and the kids:

Jersey Tiger moth

They made a video, too. Enjoy.


After a while, 


Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing this anonymously as I'm about to put in a pun and I know he doesn't like puns. I didn't know about Wolfe of Quebec being at Culloden or the slaughter of prisoners there. Not surprised about St. Columbus or Wesley. I am not from the Norwich area (whoops!) but Diss, in Norfolk. The old joke is that on the road to Yarmouth, suddenly Diss-appears (and I didn't write that one!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you were really from a town with a funny name. Only with h2g2 down I couldn't look it up. I knew you'd tell me if I dissed you. (Exit sniggering)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Seasonal Saints and Friendly Fauna

  Winchester Cathedral (has given the Editor an earworm because the Editor is old) By Bluebottle   Winchester Cathedral ’s cur...