29 September 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: Run-through-the-Garden

 

A little bit of this and that.

Nature Shot of the Day

by Tavaron da Quirm

Garden cosmos from the neighbour's garden in Austria.

 

Purple and white flowers

 

Quote of the Day

 

I was sitting here thinking, "How could they actually elect someone so obviously corrupt?" Then I laughed at the sudden realization of where I live and then I cried for the same reason.

Ross Hurst, Youtube, commenting on John Oliver's summary of the election situation in Brazil.

 

Fungus Update

by DG

Do you remember the bracket fungus? When I looked it up the other week, the Forest Service site said that bracket fungi on your tree trunk was probably a sign the tree was dead of old age.

Last Sunday, I walked past the same spot. No fungi. No tree. The Borough gremlins had removed it, root, branch, and stump, and left a tidy straw-covered spot for the grass to recolonise.

So it goes, as Kurt Vonnegut would have said.

Bracket fungus

 

Technology Feature: The Cylinder Press

 (with Video)

by Superfrenchie

Cylinder press


This is a cylinder press from the Musee Atelier de L'Imprimerie in Nantes. It was used to print large newspapers and posters. The Printing Workshop and Museum do actual real printing work for artists, as well as visits and demos on the machines for visitors. They have a whole collection of printing presses and line-casting machines and book-binding machines.

 

You want to see it in operation? Of course you do.



 

Architectural Note

by DG

In the book Coming of Age in Brookville, I describe (as found in research) a stagecoach coming into Brookville at the intersection below, failing to slow down because the driver was a showoff, turning the corner on two wheels, and slinging passengers out of the coach and straight into the open lobby door of a hotel.

 

This is where the turn would have taken place: right at the end of Main Street. The attractive building straight ahead now houses a cat rescue spay/neuter office. The building with the overhanging shelter is the Baptist church. I thought you might enjoy the sight.

 

End of Main Street, historic Brookville, with a gingerbread house at the end and a little brick church on the opposite corner, on a very sunny day.


 

 

2 young

2 go

_________

4 space,

 Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

2 comments:

  1. I thought that was just a cartoon trope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place was full of surprises when it was a frontier!

      Delete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Cabbages and Kings

  Appreciating this and that. Again. Give Us Today Our Daily Fungus by Paigetheoracle I wandered lonely as a crowd...When all at once ...