01 September 2026

The Hooverville Hexagon: More Wondrous Discoveries

 

 

 

Blackboards Singing in the Dead of Night

by Bluebottle

'See?' says the Editor. 'I let y'all get away with these horrible puns.'

A blackboard car with chalk writing all over its surface.

 

A debate has raged over which is better – blackboards or whiteboards. Whiteboards famously use plastic pens that are inedible, bad for the environment, and regularly make high-pitched Eeegh! Eeegh! noises when being used, while the traditional blackboards use plastic-free chalk, craved as a source of comfort and calcium for pregnant women worldwide.

 

For more conclusive proof of blackboards’ superiority over new-fangled whiteboards, may I present as evidence this, a blackboard car? Seen at a local town centre fête, the blackboard car was there as a source of entertainment for the children to freely write and draw all over (other cars and vehicles were on display as part of the fayre, but funnily enough none of them wanted to park next to the blackboard car and its bucket of chalk). Until I see a corresponding whiteboard car, or indeed people using whiteboard pens to play hopscotch on the pavement, I rest my case that blackboards are better than whiteboards, QED. BB

 

Editor:

Your wish is, of course, my command: here's a whiteboard car. Quite a work of art, in fact.


 

After seeing this, I became convinced that this was something the Hoggett Garage would be interested in, so I looked it up: a car can be turned into either a chalkboard or a whiteboard with the (in)judicious application of products from the Rustoleum company. Better living through paint chemistry, as they used to say. DG

 

Bring on the Horses

by SashaQ

 

 Eastham Country Park on the Wirral. A stand for 5 cabs.

A very old cabstand sign

 

Giant Puffball Mushrooms

by Paigetheoracle

Editor: Ever since I explained that SashaQ uses UK coins to indicate scale in insect photos, Paige has been experimenting with objects-for-scale. Here we have to decide which is better: the wallet or the tail end of the dog?

 

Large white puffball mushrooms on the ground next to various things.

Raindrops on Water

by SashaQ

SashaQ shares the wonder of rain on water. No scale needed.

 



cul8ter, Dmitri Gheorgheni, Editor

 

4 comments:

  1. Does the car belong to Chalky White by any chance (English joke - well you did invite puns)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much 'invite' as 'am resigned to'...

      Delete
  2. That is fascinating about blackboard and whiteboard paint.

    Those mushrooms are impressively large - I can visualise a wallet better than a dog, so I appreciate the object for scale!

    Excellent choice of music for my video - thanks DG!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!

The Hooverville Hexagon: Local Histories

  Call it a town, a city, a hamlet, a borough, an island…home is where the heart is.   The Heroes of Yesteryear by DG Prompted by an u...