Paigetheoracle
has been to Culloden Moor. He and the Editor bicker converse
intelligently about whether people want to see the 'boring' landscape, or the
highly informative plaques.
First
the Argument…
Paigetheoracle: Jacobite
forces in blue. Government troops in red (subtle hint at Butcher Cumberland or
just red to indicate actual colour of jackets worn?)
DG: Thanks
for this, but...next time you're there? Stop photographing the infographics! What
everybody wants to see is the landscape. What it looks like.
We can
find the information online, but we can't see the hills, the trees, the
rivers...See what I mean? Not so interested in inscriptions, either - same
reason.
So, less
signage: more hills and heather. Heck, even: I saw this worm at the Battle of
Culloden...telling details.
PTO: It's a
flat piece of ground. Absolutely nothing to see. Yes, there are hills in the
distance and trees (forest, artificial that would not necessarily have been
there when all this happened and most of it is forestry commission land, which
means pine trees in rows). Nothing to see here.
DG: Ah, but
we could have seen that for ourselves. And it beats looking at plaques.
Nobody
wants to read plaques.
Lifestyle
Upgrade
by DG
Paige's trip to Culloden Moor did
tell me something about my ancestors. Sort of.
Do you
see this photo? It's the best one he took.
It made
me thoughtful. I speculated on the reasons why my ancestors, some of whom
originated in Scotland, never thatched their roofs. Wood? Yes. Homemade
shingles? Definitely. Corrugated tin? Absolutely. But no thatching going on.
I tried
to see if I could find a folkways journal article about it; as usual, the nebby*
AI interfered:
Settlers
in the Appalachian Mountains did not build thatched houses because the region
offered an immense, immediate abundance of timber for log cabins and
split-shingle roofs. Thatching required specialized craft labor and cereal
straw that was more valuable as livestock feed, whereas the densely forested
mountains made wood the fastest, most practical building material.
The
Google Chattybot got this off History.com. Fair enough: it listed the fact that
straw-thatching was a specialty skill (my people have always been generalists),
that straw was more valuable for animal fodder, that it was harder to come by
than wood in the enormous half-a-continent's-worth of forest they found
themselves in, and. . . finally, the first thing I thought of: critters.
You see,
the second I looked at that roof, I thought about waking up in the attic room
one summer morning – as I had so many times as a kid at my grandparents'. You
open your eyes. Look straight up. And staring back at you, hanging from a
rafter, is…
…a
snake. Or a very big spider. Or possibly a curious possum. Better to leave the
outdoor vegetation…outdoors. Anyway, here is an architectural study of the
environs where my dad's people come from. You can see mountains. The landscape
is not boring. If you are tired of mountains, you are tired of Earth.
Back to
the Battle of Culloden
(Video)
Here are some photos Paige took of the
battlefield memorial. For those who don't know, the battle was between the
Jacobites – supporters of Prince Charles Edward Stuart, claimant to the British
throne – and what the plaques call simply 'the government', which was the army
of the reigning monarch, who was some kind of cousin and spoke German. Oh, and
all this took place in April of 1745.
The Jacobites lost. Folksingers have never shut
up about it.
The Best
Memorial
At Culloden
(Read the motto.)
Before
We Forget:
The
Informational Plaque
by Paigetheoracle
Be sure to tell us if you like informational
plaques. We'll keep them coming.
And, as always, we thank Paigetheoracle for
sharing his view of his neighbourhood. Even if that view is largely directed at
a 3-foot elevation.
A View
of Actual Mountains from the
Loch
Ness Boat
by Galaxy Babe,
who never finds landscape boring.
Tìoraidh an-dràsta,
Dmitri
Gheorgheni, Editor





I never found Loch Ness boring. I don't find boggy ground boring because of the plant and animal life. Even cornfields swaying in the wind looks like the sea and I used to have this view outside my bedroom window, with a lighted train on the horizon, heading to the station. Even heathland, covered in gorse and broom is interesting, with butterflies and other insects moving through the undergrowth along with reptiles and amphibians. But a flat area with nothing on it but flagpoles and not even livestock...
ReplyDelete