Relaxing
View of the Day
by SashaQ
Some trees from my walk on the Wirral.
Historical
Novel
from the forthcoming (eventually!) work Life
Among the Goths
by DG
The story so far: Demetrius and Radu are living in
Ravenna during the reign of Theodoric the Goth. Demetrius has decided to take a
trip to Camulodunum in Britain, which is still Roman (but barely). Here is the
conversation about preparations, with period-correct maps.
That
struck Ulf as very sensible. 'So clothes, money, books and letters, food I
guess,' he counted off on his fingers, 'and. . . ' he brightened. 'A map! You
need to know which roads to take.'
'Exactly!'
Demetrius beamed. 'Can you help me?'
Ulf
looked at Radu doubtfully. 'What about that map you showed us in class? You
said it was very new.'
'I said
it was the latest thing, that's true,' said Radu. 'I also said, if you recall,
that it was. . . '
'. . . a
sign of the collapse of civilisation. I remember.'
Demetrius
raised an eyebrow. 'That bad?'
'That
bad.' Radu opened a codex, whipped it around, and displayed on the table next
to the salami.
'Ye
gods,' said Demetrius. 'That is absolutely breathtaking.'
'It's by
Cosmas Indicopleustes, aka Cosmas the Monk. Guess where he's from.'
'Don't
tell me: Alexandria?'
'Where
the fools come from, yes.'
'This
absurdity has set cartography back a thousand years.'
'Pretty
much.'
|
|
||
Radu
thought. 'I know! Ulf, hand me that scroll. You haven't seen this one yet. It's
a copy of Agrippa's map and shows the roads.'
Gesturing
to Ulf, who hastily removed salami, dishes, and wineglasses from t he table,
Radu unfurled the scroll with a flourish.
And
unrolled.
And
unrolled.
Demetrius
rolled his eyes. 'How long is this monstrosity?'
'About
22 feet.'
'Well,
we can have a look, but frankly, I was thinking of something more. . . er,
portable.'
Radu
grinned mischievously. 'Like a tabula stationis benzinariae,' he
suggested.
'Exactly.'
To a
puzzled Ulf, Radu explained, 'We think the wayside inns that sell hay and grain
for horses and donkeys should also provide itineraria for
travellers at a price.'
'What a
good idea,' said Ulf. 'Maybe I'll do that when I grow up.'
'You?
You'll be a government councillor. But you can make it a law and they'll have
to do it.'
The
three studied the map, such as it was, and Demetrius wrote down the route he
needed in his own itinerarium.
'This
will get me to the straits,' he said. 'After that, I need the itinerarium for
Britannia. I know there is one.'
That's
awfully dark,' said Ulf. 'Did somebody spill posca on it?'
'Guilty.
But we can make it out.' They pored over the pages, copying unfamiliar names.
Demetrius sang softly to himself, something that sounded like faraway
places with strange-sounding names are calling. . .
They
worked on plans until Unna called them for dinner.
Editor's Note: We hope to resume our Works in
Progress sometime in September, technology permitting. We will update everyone
on the mailing list.
History
Corner
by DG
Video
of the Day:
(DG)
When it rains, sometimes it pours. And makes the ducks happy.
Photo
of the Day
Good things to come!
cucu, Dmitri
Gheorgheni, Editor






No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave us a message!